Monday, November 16, 2009

Can Taekwondo students build up resistance?

My boyfriend does it and him and his classmates go through cans and cans of ice spray. Every time they clash, every time the take a hit, they%26#039;ll spray it, or ice it or go to a physio - my guy will go to the physio for ridiculous things like tight hamstrings (see my other question!). Surely this is bad coaching? I have my reservations about the coach anyway, I think he is good in some areas, not so good in others. Shouldn%26#039;t someone doing a martial art work on resistance and accepting the pain that comes with mistakes, instead of constantly using external aids? I know they have conditioning sessions in karate classes. Is there such thing in Taekwondo or am I just being an unsympathetic old shrew?|||Hello Tilly...Unfortunately for you, your boyfriend, and for other unsuspecting students out there, teaching is an art in itself and if the instructor does not have the the skill nor the knowledge, then students will always get injured. Spraying is not the solution, explanation and good practise is what you need.





The idea of no %26quot;pain no gain%26quot; is such a load of cow-pat. Our survival instinct automatically veer us towards protecting an injured part of the body, no amount of training will stop your leg or arm being broken. You are not training to get hurt, but training to prevent yourself from getting hurt. If your instructor does not know that....look somewhere else. I have trained for years and never had an injury.|||in my own experience you are going to take a few hits ,on progressing they will diminish,number of hits as skill level rises . for repeated bruising i use zheng-gu-shui or dit dat dow, both herbal treatments which will encourage the body%26#039;s recovery.spray only numbs the local area?not good your body is telling you its reached a limit,listen.better to progressively improve and build resilience naturally. discuss repeat injurys with your Sensei. tight hamstrings ,dont you stretch properly first.tendons and ligaments require a warm up period to work efficiently. go to your local library and get info on stretching,sports injurys and how to deal with them .|||Sometimes ice is a good idea as it prevents swelling enabling you to continue training. Ir is not needed for every bump %26amp; bruise. Yes we train to tolerate pain.|||You are not training to get hurt, but training to prevent yourself from getting hurt. If your instructor does not know that,look somewhere else. Sure we all get hurt from time to time but not every time we enter the Dojo.|||I have Black belts in both Karate and Ju Jitsu and whilst occasionally a bit of PR spray was useful in numbing a painful hit generally I got used to accepting pain as part of the process. Your boyfriend should do the same or as you imply find a competent instructor.....|||Your Boyfriend is a sissy. He should have known what would happen in the process of any martial arts.|||this doesn%26#039;t sound right to me, there either isn%26#039;t enough warm or are people not wearing pads. While some people will just keep quite the majority of the general public will think F**k this for a laugh.|||He shouldn%26#039;t be crying over minor things. I took taekwondo as my first art and the only time I ever sat out was when I sprained my ankle so bad it turned blue when I landed wrong doing a jump spin kick. I just sat out. I didn%26#039;t even go to the doctor for that. I took an axe kick right above my eye. No pain killers for that, either. Your b/f is a sissy.|||Maybe he should take a few lessons in Qi - Gong (that is, Tai Chi%26#039;s sister art), a Chinese form of conditioning and chi-building. It should help him to no end with accepting pain.


It helped me.|||No pain no gain !!! There is no over way got to take it and deal with it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment