Monday, May 17, 2010

Is Taekwondo really effective as self defense?

How do you know?|||Totally depends on the person not the art.





Every one has this misconception one style is better than another when it is more the fighter makes the style work or not!





So sure it can be in the right hands.|||TKD is really one of those arts that depends on the practitioner, because overall, it really isn%26#039;t that effective in terms of usability in most cases.





I%26#039;ve done TKD for 8 years, with a 2nd dan in the art, and yet I%26#039;ve had to end every fight I%26#039;ve been in (all within the last year) with a choke or armbar that I learned in my 1.5 years of no-Gi BJJ. The two times I%26#039;ve tried to stick with things in TKD, I%26#039;ve gotten taken down, and had to resort to my base understanding of jiu jitsu again, which ended in my full switch over to the grappling arts.





Also, with the current watered down state of TKD in the states, you%26#039;re going to have a really hard time finding a good dojang with lots of sparring and live resistance drills, which is the best indication of a good school.





I will say one last thing- if you decide to stick with TKD, make friends with someone who wrestles and learn to break the clinch and more importantly, how to sprawl. I wish I had... then maybe I would have stuck with the art of my nation of birth.





Best of luck.|||Depends what dojang you go to, cuz sadly, a lot of them are Mcdojos. My dojang is very effective and efficiant, and I have spared/fought (in the dojang of course) people who have been in self defense as long as I have in taekwondo. I foudn teakwondo is pretty much just a form of self defense, and if you use it properly it is definetly as effective as self defense.|||I have a black belt in Kempo Karate


a black belt in Shotokan and a black sash in Praying Mantis Kung Fu...I have studied TKD in 1984 nad in the 1990%26#039;s


TKD has changed a lot, it used to be a great overall fighting system, now that it has become sporty less attention is given to the practical side of it....Check each school you can, the sporty ones will not help you in self defense.|||I think it depends on the person more than the belt they wear. A good instructor can give you technique, a great instructor can bring out the fight game in you.





I have students who with 6 months in Krav Maga will eat up many black belts in a real street fight, and I have students who will fold, I can see it in them so I don%26#039;t encourage them to test, we only test 3 times a year.





It is really the artist, not the art at some point that will determine the outcome. Some people have fight in them and some don%26#039;t. My skilled guys with game are fierce and I am proud of them, at the same time one of my favorite martial arts is Taijiquan, no I will never be a great taijiquan fighter. I love the forms. I practice them every morning and do push hands weekly.





I was trained as a Kravist and that is what I am. I will eat a high foot kick to get in and do my thing. I%26#039;ve done it before and I%26#039;m old enough and dumb enough to do it again, because for me fighting meant survival, not points.





TKD in the right hands can be a very effective form of self defense, and depending on what you bring to it, can further augment TKD. I had a TKD instructor laugh at me at a party because I said I loved the Wu solo form, so I tackled the SOB, mounted him and did a quick ground and pound on him, personally I think the man was a wimp who did not know how to handle a good take down.





i have also met TKD guys who are good, solid stand up fighters, some of them take Judo as well, so they get good at the ground game as well. It all depends on you, I guess that is the bottom line.|||I agree with Wulf. I have fought hard with people from a good TKD school that trains realisticly that is in our area, as well as sat in on a number of their testings, and trust me you wouldn%26#039;t want to force any of their black belts to fight you.





It is the person not the style.|||It depends on the practitioner. I%26#039;ve seen Taekwondo black belts who couldn%26#039;t beat a yellow belt in Kempo. I%26#039;ve met a Taekwondo black belt who could kick at over 100 MPH.|||You would need to ask someone who%26#039;s a black belt in both Taekwondo and self defense to see which one is more effective.|||Taekwon-Do is a modern art of self defense founded by Grand Master Choi Hong Hi 9th Dan who was a General in the Korean army. He developed Taekwon-Do by researching other martial arts and by using principles of modern science to design techniques which have maximum power and effectiveness. Taekwon-Do has grown in popularity and is taught in nearly every country in the world. It is greatly renowned for its spectacular and dynamic kicking techniques. This has led to the misconception that Taekwon-Do is just a kicking art. Since the legs are more powerful than the arms, Taekwon-Do does make extensive use of the legs but kicks make up only a small fraction of the total number of Taekwon-Do techniques. There are also blocks, punches, and strikes with the hands or arms as well as basic throws and grappling. The range of techniques cater for all types of situations including defending against more than one opponent, and against weapons.








Who can practice Taekwon-Do?


Taekwon-Do is for anyone who wishes to learn it, no matter what age you are. You can benefit from Taekwon-Do if you are male or female, young or old, whatever your build. People who have a disability or suffer from a previous injury can still benefit from Taekwon-Do as the training can be differentiated to suit your ability. As long as your instructor is informed about your limitations he/she will be able to recommend safe training activities for you.





Benefits of Taekwon-Do


As well as learning to defend yourself there are many other benefits:





You will develop total fitness: strength, endurance and flexibility. Due to the nature of the Taekwon-Do techniques your body will develop the ability to perform fast and powerful movements.


It helps you to develop a good physique by promoting the loss of excess weight, and developing muscle definition.


Through training you will learn self-discipline, gain self-confidence and develop a positive mental attitude, which will naturally extend into your personal and social life and improve your quality of life.


Children in particular can benefit from Taekwon-Do by developing good coordination, concentration and spatial awareness at an early age. Our experience has shown that children experience a more rapid acceleration of these skills from Taekwon-Do compared to the usual activities they are likely to experience in school.


There is also a social benefit as you meet new people and make new friends.








Lessons


Lessons are usually 1陆 or 2 hours with the first 陆 hour being used for the warm up and fitness exercises. The remainder consists of various activities such as practicing basic blocking, attacking and grappling techniques against an imaginary opponent or with an partner acting as an opponent. Practicing hitting pads helps to develop accuracy and power. Speed and reflexes are improved by practicing free sparring which is basically free fighting conducted under safe conditions by enforcing certain rules and by using protective equipment.





Moral Culture


Taekwon-Do is not just physical training, it involves mental and spiritual training as well. Taekwon-Do has moral culture, which builds character and teaches students to become ethical. Through training you will learn the 5 tenets of Taekwon-Do, namely: Courtesy, Integrity, Perseverance, Self-Control, and Indomitable Spirit.








Gradings


The students rank is indicated by the colour of their belt. Grading test are held usually every 6 to 8 weeks for students who are ready to promote to a higher belt. Many of our students achieve black belt status after only 3 years. Recent results at national and international competitions indicate that TKD Impact%26#039;s black belts are among the highest standard in the country which demonstrates the high quality of our teaching methods.








Competitions


For students who wish to compete, there are local, national and international championships held regularly throughout the year. Students may compete once they have reached the yellow belt grade, which can be achieved after 3 months of regular training. The competitions consist of 3 disciplines: sparring (not full-contact), patterns, and breaking (power test). All events are divided into weight and grade categories.





How to Join?


Why not visit your nearest Taekwon-Do school and witness the fine quality of instruction and experience the friendly atmosphere of the classes. Beginners are always welcome and can join anytime. You can join in wearing just loose clothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment