Friday, May 21, 2010

What is the difference between taekwondo and olympic taekwondo?

Well you are talking about ITF and WTF.


WTF recognizes TKD as you see in Olympics and it is more on sporty part.


No hand techniques and no submissions.


It%26#039;s more into recieving points and not really into KD or KO!


But as for ITF, TKD is taught in more traditional way and sometimes they even have Full-Contact fightings as a part of training or some local contests.


I%26#039;ve heard some TKD schools which are under ITF, even teach submissions which I%26#039;m really eager to see for myself.





WTF is responsible for all the blames TKD is taking from guys who do not consider TKD a martail art.


A lot of people even in here say TKD is closer to dancing and not a real martial art which can save your a*s on the streets.


Well they seem not to know about this fact that ITF still believes in martail arts and not just dancing.





By the way, I can assure you that TKD kicks are the most effecive kicks in martail arts and the kick path used in Kick Boxing and Muai Thai(Which are known as the best stand up fighting styles) is the same kick path that TKD uses.(there are very minor differences).


Definition: Kick path is the path that your foot and leg travels from the initial kicking position till it lands on the opponent.


When I say KB and MT use the same Kick Path, I%26#039;m not talking about the back to back kicking as in TKD or the guard stance.I%26#039;m simply talking about the kick path as I defined above.


I%26#039;ve never done any TKD but I%26#039;ve seen some very good fighters in TKD under ITF.|||olympic tkd, where you can kick the head, but you can%26#039;t punch the head....


olympic tkd doesn%26#039;t necessarily need to deliver kick with power, just with alot of speed. I see it as like fencing, but just with legs.|||ITF Taekwondo is truer to the roots of Taekwondo as an adaptation of Karate. ITF retains the lower stances, powerful strikes and focus on forms of Karate, but mixes it with effective Korean leg techniques. ITF sparring is more similar to semi-contact Karate, and self-defence is a key part of the system.





WTF Olympic Taekwondo is more sport-focused so has higher stances and a more athletic-focused programme that is less effective for self-defence. The focus is on perfecting techniques that will score in competition, which suits many who prefer the athletic aspect.|||for one eve though both can be considered a sport.. olympic style...is mostly for points...and that is what u are tought...witht that in mind while regular tkd is more hard core , teach u more usefull things than just how to get points..|||I do Olympic style TKD, I think that what I know would be helpful in an actual fight, not just in the ring. One thing I think many folks fail to relize, that in WTF TKD, we kick full speed all the time, we are taught to gauge attacks and evade and counter at the same time. But, getting hit in the ribs or head or chest or where ever full speed even when wearing saftey gear hurts! So if nothing else, you learn pretty early on that you can take a hit and keep on kicking. Bonus information here: WTF and ITF are talking with the IOC and each other to find a way to let ITF practioners compete at the olympic level ITF is fixing to have a major shake up...|||It%26#039;s the goal really.


Olympic Tae Kwon Do is greatly aligned around scoring points from striking. The strikes usually aren%26#039;t full power, there are no submissions, and most people prefer to limit handstrikes.


Tae Kwon Do itself is hand striking, leg striking, and certain styles (Not organizations) teach grappling.


I myself have practiced under the WTF, and I study Moo Duk Kwan right now (Under an organization I don%26#039;t know of yet :P).


The point sparring tends to be poor in regards to self defense. I%26#039;m not completely annoyed by what has been said about WTF, but of the three Tae Kwon Do schools I%26#039;ve been to: Only one does point sparring. The other two were under WTF, and we did full-contact sparring. In my first school we did that sparring every week. In the second school I attended we didn%26#039;t do sparring as often, but there was an open policy of using self-defense techniques in sparring: To include grappling. Not that I did a lot of it, but I caught a few people sometimes.


So essentially:


Olympic Tae Kwon Do: Is usually point sparring rather than full contact


Tae Kwon Do- Depending on the style, it can be more than point sparring.

No comments:

Post a Comment