Friday, May 21, 2010

Would taekwondo knowledge help in aikido?

I might want to do aikido, and i am a 1st poom in taekwondo. Do you think i should try out aikido? if tkd knowledge does help, how??|||Just to be different.. I will say yes.... Only for the fact that you should have a good understanding of balance, and your center of gravity, also you should have understanding of how to learn, not that your flying reverse kicks are going to apply, but that you are already programed to learn something new.... I am transition myself to another art and I would compare it to learning a new language... I am getting a new vocabulary, I may be able to fumble my way through a sentance, but I cannot carry a conversation haha.... but I suggest be humble and do not walk in and say Yes I have studied TKD, instead go in as if you were completely new, because you are..|||Nope. Completely opposite arts. You%26#039;d be better off taking up karate instead, easier transition. But if you really want to learn Aikido, you have to forget everything you ever learned in TKD. Because Aikido doesn%26#039;t use kicks and except for atemis to distract your attacker, no punches either. Footworks are different too.|||If you do TKD and then take Aikido you would have to forget all your TKD stuff because Frankly it isnt going to help you against an Aikidoist.Aikido does sword Jo staff knife gun disarm ment. it has over 200 techniques from white belt to black belt. but the variations of the techniques are almost numberless.When people say that Aikido doesnt have punches, They are meaning punching with closed fist, but they do have alot of strikes with the hand blade, and truthfully they hurt alot worse than the fist.They do on the other hand defend against all types of punches. To make a long story short Aikido is much better than TKD ( how so you ask) because I was a black belt in TKD and went to take up Aikido and there yellow belts or 4th Kyu were stopping every thing that I could throw at them and balling me up in all types of joint locks that I have never seen in TKD nor could I escape from. Aikido is an art of Budo meaning art of killing one strike is capeable of sending a man to death with only one blow/strike. FYI there are several types of Aikido many are not practical. The 3 that I know that are very practical are Shinbu,Tomiki,and Yoshinkan|||Actually, understanding japanese sword techniques would be better in learning aikido. Aikido involves no punching. You will fall a lot in aikido and throw people a lot in a cyclic noncombative training. Knowing judo would help understand falling techniques in aikido. Aikido is more rolling and judo is more taking a hard falls. You may consider learning hapkido which would involved hitting and ties aikido/judo throwing techniques. Hapkido finds its roots in jujitsu. To round off your fighting techniques, if that is what you are looking for, I would suggest jujitsu with strong floor techniques.





Plainly putting the difference between aikido and hapkido, if I throw you in aikido, I try not to break your arm, try not to hurt you when you fall and try to disarm. If I throw you in hapkido, it would not bother me if I break your arm and will hit you after fall.





What do you want to learn?????|||No way, those two are completely different arts. If you decide to cross train, then you will probably find yourself dominate with one art over the other. A good art that is very compatible with TKD is boxing. TKD is good for self defense only if u about a black belt of higher b/c thats when you learn many things other than kicking. Boxing mixed with TKD is awesome, becasue TKD will suppplement the long ranged attacks, and boxing will supplement the short range attacks. Both styles involve great agility and attack power which makes it a great combo. Anyways, aikido and TKD: not a good match, but if u wanna do it for fitness or fun, why not? Other than that, stay away.|||When you have learned one foreign language, learning the next one is easier because you know how to study, what is involved, etc. For similar reasons, knowing one martial art will help you with another, even if they have very little in common. (Learning Spanish then Korean, learning TKD then Aikido.)

No comments:

Post a Comment