Saturday, May 15, 2010

Hi everyone, I'm taking taekwondo and had a new instructor today. He said i keep pointing my toes up to kick?

Everytime I try to put it down and concentrate he would tell me to hurry up and then when i did he would say they%26#039;re up again. How do I keep my toes down so i don%26#039;t break them?


|||That depends on the kick. If you are trying to front kick using the crown of your foot (the shoe lace part) than point your toes away from yourself. We like to call this kick shoe lacing someone. This kick is for striking the groin area or a horizontal target. Think of a ballet dancer. When striking a vertical target with the front kick pull your toes back and strike with the ball of your foot. Your foot should than be in the shape as if you were standing on your toes. The ball of the foot is the area behind your toes on the bottom of your foot. This is used for board breaking. Of course if you strike a board with your toes they will be mighty sore if not broken.


When doing your stretches extend your toes out , point them away from you as hard as you can and than bring them back and grab your toes over the top and pull. The leg posture of toes extended away from you in this stretch is what your looking fore when Shoe lacing. When striking with the ball of your foot the toes pulled back is the posture for striking vertical target with front kicks. Practice this every chance you get. Some one suggested praticin on a heavy bag. I have all my students do these kicks in slow motion checking detail carefully on the heavy bags untill it is second nature. These are the most relied on kicks in self defence and sparring. Got to get it right.|||Good stance work leads to good foot work.





Your stance is probably off. If you chamber properly before the snap and twist of the kick and body, your foot should already be straight or %26#039;flat%26#039; so that the kicking area (instep) is aligned with your leg.





As far as all these people suggesting that her Sabumnim is too %26#039;harsh%26#039; because he%26#039;s adamant about her learing correct techniques, martial arts aren%26#039;t supposed to be easy,and they%26#039;re not always fun. Training is hard work, and your sabumnim%26#039;s job isn%26#039;t to be your best friend, it%26#039;s to train you properly and according to the tenets of the art.





If you want something easy and fun where you%26#039;ll never be corrected, go do a cardio course. Martial Arts are just that - Martial Arts. Anyone who has a teacher that train them by traditional standards should be thanking the gods for it, not lamenting it becuase it%26#039;s tough.|||Practice and habit is the way. I had the same trouble so I would practice at home and stand there tensing my toes so they curl down, and then drilling front kick and roundhouse kick.





Soon after that in class I got into the habit of doing it. Maybe it varies for you but there are two different types of front kick, one where you must curl your toes in (instep front kick) and the other is where you use the ball of your foot (designed to push your opponent back with force)





Anyway, you don%26#039;t need to worry about breaking your toes at the moment. Unless someone attacks you (UNLIKELY) or if you at the rank where you can break boards (if you are, you%26#039;ve probably broken the habit by now)





Anyway, good luck and I%26#039;m sure it will seem easy soon.|||I study Karate which has considerably fewer kicks, but I am familiar with what you%26#039;re talking about.


When performing a front snap kick there are two types of targets you will strike. One, call it a %26quot;rising strike%26quot; is like hitting a hand help palm down. If you were wearing shoes you would impact where your shoe laces are. This is used to kick the inside of the thigh, among other things.


The other type of snap kick, call it a %26quot;penetrating kick%26quot; is when I want to kick you in the stomach. I am kicking forward, but I don%26#039;t want to hit with my heel, I want to strike with the ball of my foot. If I were standing on my tip toes, the way my foot touches the ground is exactly how I want to kick.





When I want to keep my toes down, I think about kicking a soccer ball. You%26#039;re not supposed to kick a soccer ball with your toes, but with your laces. When I want to kick through someone, I think about stepping on them (rude, I know). Remember that practice makes perfect.|||Ok, are you supposed to be kicking with the ball of your foot or the instep?





If you%26#039;re supposed to be kicking with your instep, you can practice by punting a soccer ball. It gets your foot used to being as flat as possible. The ball won%26#039;t go very far if your foot is improperly placed.





If you%26#039;re supposed to be kicking with the ball of your foot, practice walking around in high heels (like stilettos). This keeps your ankle flat, but curls your toes back to the proper position.





One problem, though, that I%26#039;m guessing your talking about is what I call an %26quot;L-shaped%26quot; foot. Meaning, your foot is bent at the ankle. If that is the case, either practice above will help get your foot trained.|||practice at home at work at the cinema, I%26#039;m forever shaping my foot practicing my techniques because when you get into a martial art you live it breath it! Your instructor should be less harsh with a new beginner, if I%26#039;m harsh on my class they try and prove me wrong though! But lets face facts you are doing this for you and not for him, keep practicing and you will get there. |||Well, depends on what style of Taekwondo, some kicks require you to have your toes up, but were you raising your toes on a roundhouse kick (Yup Chagi?) Because that%26#039;s a common error people make.





One way to fix it is by at home taking at slowly step by step until it becomes second nature to you.|||Unfortunately, your answer simply is practice.





I would use a heavy bag and repeatedly practice while focusing on this one aspect. Eventually, it will become so natural to you that you won%26#039;t even think about it.





Good luck.|||my %26quot;major%26quot; suggestion would be to get a less stupidly strict instructor...





my %26quot;more subtle%26quot; approach would be to keep practicing...|||What helped me was to point your toes at the ground as soon as you lift it of the ground to kick.





Good luck|||try walking on the balls of your feet on your tip toes|||simple practice at home not just in class.|||well besides practices


i would go with bushido%26#039;s advise|||allways keep toes up sandman|||you could ask him?after all hes your instructor isn%26#039;t he?|||well if u dont point ur toes up u will break them, trust me i have had my toes broke and its because of that reason

No comments:

Post a Comment