Saturday, May 15, 2010

My son is a student at a TaeKwonDo school where there are three masters and two instructors.?

Now that the holidays are coming, I%26#039;d like to know what kind of gift is appropriate. The instructors are college students, so cash seems like a good choice for them. But two of the Masters have recently come from Korea to teach and I don%26#039;t want to embarass them or do anything not acceptable to their etiquette. The third Master is the owner of the school Are gifts appropriate?|||It would be whole appropriate to honor your son%26#039;s instructors with a gift of appreciation. My students love to chip in together to get me a gift each year. One year, they gave me a sword set. This year (for my birthday), they gave me a belt rack since I did not have one of my own. For Christmas this year, they are chipping in to send me to a training conference this weekend.





For the Koreans, ask the school owner. There are customs that you may not be aware of regarding such gifts (they are appropriate, so please ask, but there are rules like what is acceptable...).





Instead of money, I would suggest gift cards for the college students. They spend just like money. I remember getting restaurant cards in college and they saved me on many date nights....





Basically, talk with the ranking adults to find out what and if the school has done something in the past. If they have never done anything, perhaps it is time to get started, or maybe it is taboo (which would be odd, mind you).|||Each school will be different. I hate to give such an easy escapist answer like that but it is true. Even here in Japan, the rules vary.





Your intentions are probably 100% honest and caring but there is the chance that it may appear otherwise to other members. Or your school may have a great, trusting, family oriented spirit that everyone shares. In this case, maybe gifts to the teachers would be accepted and not cause any problems. And I bet the young instructors would really appreciate the gifts.





If you want, you could try talking to a parent or senior member (not one of the teachers) and ask them if it would be okay.





Or, perhaps, you could just buy some extra equipment, training stuff (books, videos, etc), unfiroms, etc for your son. The teachers will probably get a tiny percentage of the sales - either directly or as a part of the dojang funds for events, etc.


And then a simple card would suffice.





Good luck.|||I think you should go in with all the other parents and get together on a gift for the instructors. This way it doesn%26#039;t look like favoritism.|||gift them respect|||They can be. Ask your son.





This is not a MA question.

No comments:

Post a Comment